Monday, June 22, 2009

Last week's running recap

Last week was a rough one for me in my running world. Monday's shortened run led to Tuesday morning run that wiped me out as well. After 7 miles in the morning (4 with Tara, 3 on my own), I had to crash for a nap and ended up sleeping two hours. Wednesday was also met with fatigue and I ran only 4.75 in the afternoon. That sort of minimal mileage doesn't really get you where you need to be when you are trying for a 65 mile week. Mentally and physically, I was not ready to get it done.

Thursday was a 14 miler with the Team (ran w/Renee), but it turned out to be a little short as well. Argh! So, what did I do? I elected to forego my off day and ran 5ish on Friday morning. With my planned 22 on Saturday, I would have only 4ish miles left for Sunday to hit 65 (secretly I wanted to get to 68 or 69 on Sunday). Well, 22 did not happen on Saturday. I totally bonked the run and could only get through 20.5 (sadly, with some walking at the end). I knew it was bad when at 14 I was exhausted.

Why did I bonk? Was it nutrition? no. Was it electrolytes? no. It was complete fatigue. I hardly slept at all on Friday night because of the little terror of a kitten we are watching right now. He kept me up all night long. Argh!

So, I was at 60 for the week yesterday, woke up exhausted, and saw that Tara wasn't going to be able to meet me to run. Whew! I didn't get in the extra miles to boost me to 65 (or 68 or 69). We had a day of resting, eating, and focusing on other stuff besides running. It was just what I needed. So, I have two weeks at 60 in a row and will be going for 70 this week.

No comments: