Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Art on the Run

I thought Erin W. might be particularly interested in this, though I don't think if she were here she would just run past them...

On my run yesterday morning, I get to the point in the path along Harbor Drive near the Maritime Museum. There are sculptures of all different kinds of things along the path, and at first I think they are ocean-themed. I saw an octopus and a whale and thought 'how cool' and kept on running. As I continued down the path, I noticed there were more and more sculptures, one after the other. Then I noticed that they all kind of looked like trees. Hmm...even more cool...look at all of these different 'tree' sculptures. Yes, even the octopus and whale looked like trees once I noticed the theme.

Well, today during my run I take the time to stop and read the plaques on them and find out that what I'm seeing is a collection of sculptures called the Urban Trees. There are thirty one sculptures along the waterfront as part of the Public Art program here in San Diego. From the website, it looks like this is the fifth time they have done this...check out this year's sculptures. My favorite is #17, "School of Blue Bottle Noses" by David Boyer. This piece moves, and is quite large in person. I like the way the title describes what you are looking at both literally and figuratively.

1 comment:

erin said...

YAY!!!! You're right Sadie, I would have stopped for sure. I love San Diego... and I love that you blogged this!!