Thursday, June 04, 2009

I got nothin'

Nothing important to say, so I'll do a quick update...

Monday - easy run in the neighborhood.

Tuesday - found out we were doing "Sadie's Run" as the selected route for the workout, so I revamped my route from last time to take out some bad red light street crossings.  I personally found the route very enjoyable...some familiar 'Rogue' roads, some roads that are a little different, lots of turns (though most of them are still on familiar roads), plenty of water, hills at the end, and surprisingly little traffic with the new and improved 14 mile route.  After the run, there was some friendly grumbling amongst the fast black short guys.  What I found funny about their comments started with Kamran first saying that he deserved an 'orienteering badge' or something like that for making it through the trip ticket.  Then, I got inside and Ken said something about the route being short or that they probably make a wrong turn, then kiddingly blamed Kamran for steering them wrong.  According to Ken, they ended up almost a mile shorter than the route was plotted for.  Then Charles blogged about not liking reading a map in the dark with 50 or more turns.  Oh goodness, the black short crew apparently doesn't do well with reading directions and running.  I can't take it personally, because I know that new routes are hard for everyone to do the first or second time.  I also imagine that reading a trip ticket is more difficult in a group of more than three or four people as opposed to only having a few people steering you in the right (or in their case, wrong) direction.  It just kind of sucks to have your name on a route and have people miss turns.  At least everybody's trip ticket was accurate...it was just misreading or being directionally challenged.  (Guys, I don't care if you comment more about it...y'all are goofy.)

Wednesday - easy run with Tara that ended up being too hot and hilly.  It was great, much-needed girl chat.

Thursday - 10 miles starting at Barton Springs - Ran with Renee, who is not only sweet and easy to talk to during a run, but who is also well matched pace-wise with me.  There were times today where she was dragging me up the hills, and I greatly appreciated it.  After the run, there were lots of folks still around stretching and doing push ups.  I did my 'Big 10' girl push up version of the sequence and joined everyone for a soak in Barton Springs.  I guess I don't soak with the group enough...there was a great mix of our group down there in the water.  It was fun watching everyone squirm in the cold water.

So that's about it.  Tomorrow I'm not running at all.  Saturday, I'll do 16 or 18 depending on the route.  Sunday will be an easy run in the morning and then I leave town to go to San Diego.  I think the weather there is going to be awesome running weather.  Woohoo!

4 comments:

MW said...

They can't be expected to get things right while I'm gone.
I mean, seriously, those guys, alone on Austin streets without me.... yeah, scary.

Keith said...

For the record, I like the "Sadie Run". Only did the 10 mile version, but it's a good run. Especially, when you get the "Sadie tour guide version". Whoo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

Ignore us. We're now officially a bunch of old men set in our ways. Think of how the day started. What you're changing the medium long run to Thursday! The world is coming to an end.

As for the course, for anybody that's tried to put a course together (Mike, Sadie, Ruth) with all the different distances it's not the easiest thing. Your route took us through some streets I never run that way. I'd never taken that part of Speedway, we always take that annoying corner so it was a nice change.

Oh ... and people probably wouldn't get lost if they took a trip ticket ... oh and read it. And practice makes perfect :) Maybe Mike is ruining everybody where they don't have to think during runs. Gmap tends to be a little under the garmin so we should all know that by now and just plan accordingly. Or should the map maker run each variation of the course with their GPS to get a geekometer approved distance ... um that would be an idea, not a good one but an idea.

p.s. I know one spot Ken and company cut short which probably accounts for at least 1/2 a mile (it was when we were around the UT tower) so you can put some of that to user error :)

jp said...

Sadie - I too liked the route. Thanks for putting it together!