Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Firebird!

I'm so excited that the Google logo today honors the birthday of Igor Stravinsky. When I was a junior in HS, the TMEA All-State flute audition music was an excerpt from L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird). Unfortunately, I did not qualify in a high enough chair to make the orchestra that got to perform the piece (I made the Symphonic Band). I used to drive around in my car with a recording on audiocassette and play it over and over and over at full volume.

The part that I would listen to most is below in the video of the ballet from the start until about 4:00 in. My particular audition excerpt was one of the flute parts between :55 and 2:00 (Dance of the Firebird). If you listen to it, it is amazing how fast they are playing...that is several flutes, piccolos and clarinets playing multiple parts all layered together. I love how much it sounds like an actual bird.




Below is an excerpt of the Firebird Suite as it was used in Fantasia. The particular selection of my tryout is not in this part. (The scary part 'Infernal Dance' is between 2:30 and 4:45)



No comments: