Friday, May 09, 2008

So Proud

My friend, Justyne Biddle, teaches science at a middle school in Leander ISD. Justyne and I used to teach together at Hudson Bend, and she is also a runner and triathlete. One of her students this year is a young boy with autism who has learned how to communicate through a letter board. Coming from a 1st grade level a year ago, the young man recently placed 4th in the State Science Fair in the 7th grade Chemistry division. The story is here (get past the 15 sec commercial, and then the story is great!)

Obviously, I am proud of the young man, Mike, who is overcoming his disability.

I am also very proud of my friend Justyne. She is an inspiring teacher, pushing all of her students to do well. I had the privilege of judging some of the local science fair at her school, and admire the efforts that she and the other teachers demonstrated to help their students do well. Justyne is a rare spirit and her students and school are so lucky to have her.

2 comments:

Daryl & Diana said...

Wow, that's awesome. I saw the teaser for that story on the news. I didn't realize Justyne was his teacher. Very cool.

Shorey said...

I saw that story, and it was very inspirational. It must be a relief for Mike to be able to communicate now, and what an honor to do well in the science fair!