Friday, May 30, 2008

Blood Draw #1

Well, I got to have my blood drawn today. (oh boy) This is the extension of my doctor appointment week last week. The doctor and I suspect there may be something off in my hormones, so I had the first part of a complete set of tests done today...all of the thyroid/adrenal/lady hormones. There were seven different panels and specific hormones circled on my sheet, and there is no way that I could remember all of them. I suspect a thyroid problem, based on family history, but we'll have to wait and see.

I get to go again in about 7-10 days, depending on my body. Some of the lady hormones have to be checked on specific days of the month. It is actually very interesting to explore the balance of hormones that are supposed to be high or low in your body at different times.

The lady at Clinical Pathology Labs was really good at finding my vein. I am usually very apprehensive about having blood taken, but she was very reassuring and nice to me. I always have to prepare the phlebotomist and have her tell me before she sticks me. I like to breathe out as the needle goes in. A few years ago, a phlebotomist told me to do a deep exhale as the needle went in, and it greatly reduced the pain of the stick. I was sold, and have done it that way ever since.

Anyhow, the best part of getting blood drawn is getting to have lunch with my darling husband.

1 comment:

Daryl & Diana said...

I remember you telling me about the breathing out thing. Getting pregnant and having diabetes qualifies you as a human pincushion, and I try to remember to do that every time. I don't know if it helps me with the pain or not, but it gives me something else to think about.

Hope you had a great cheese-less lunch. :)