Friday, May 02, 2008

Friday Recovery - Mental preparation

Today on the schedule is a recovery day. I like to prepare myself mentally for my long runs on Saturday by reviewing my progress for the week and to boost myself with motivational thoughts. Today I will share...

I have had a great last 7 days.
  • I had the nerve to enter a race that I was not prepared for. On Saturday I managed to get up frightfully early to go register for the TX Round Up 10k. I didn't bandit, like many people I know choose to do on a 'workout run'. Actually, I even did a 4 mile warm-up to get my miles in. A 4 mile warmup is something I typically hate to do before I line up for a race.
  • Sunday, I overcame the urge to forego the run due to bad weather. Even though we ran later, I still ran through the mud and overcame the obstacle of taking the day off.
  • Monday, I did not have the mental strength to do my scheduled run. At the time, I felt guilty for not doing it. In hindsight, it doesn't matter that I completed the run or not. I acknowledged my mental weakness, and will strive to do better next week.
  • Tuesday, I attended my first group workout with Mac. I am officially slow and out of shape, and it was slightly humiliating to run 10 pounds heavy in the heat and come in dead last every time. It's going to change, though, so I will be strong and endure the personal humiliation. I have been last in Mac's group before, and it only made me tougher on race day.
  • Wednesday, I regained my running spirit by passing folks on the trail. I also did 7 miles instead of the 5 that was prescribed because of my leftover guilt from Monday.
  • Thursday, I suffered through one of my least favorite workouts - on the grass at the Zilker soccer fields. I was still last in the group, but I managed to do the workout properly and maintain the proper paces. Running on the grass is very difficult for me, so I am very proud that I worked it out.

Now today I find a fun quote that makes me laugh. Considering my experience on the trail on Wednesday, I find it very appropriate.

"It's rude to count people as you pass them. Out loud." -Adidas ad

Tomorrow I will run 11 miles, with some of it being speed work. I can do it, even though my legs are a little shocked that I keep making them run fast. Three days of an actual Mac workout is kind of harsh for my slow, flabby pair of thighs. There's only one way to run faster, and that is to run faster.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog about getting lost running around Town Lake in Austin. I'll take your advice about where to start the next time I run that location, and I'll drop by your blog from time to time. Love the post about what its like to live with a man. My ex-wife used to complain all the time when she'd turn on the TV and was forced to deal with ESPN for the few seconds until she changed the channel.