Thursday, May 01, 2008

I'm back...competitive LBLT running

I used to be the kind of runner on the trail that would try to pass people and not get passed. I would create races in my head between myself and the person in front of me that I had to beat. I would try to size someone up based on their stride and pace, and try to race them to the end of the trail. It was always fun passing dudes or other girls my age, who obviously had no idea that they were part of my competition. Sometimes passing someone would spark them to run a little faster. I loved hearing the person's footstrike speed up and feel their presence just behind me, stride by stride as we would 'race' down the trail.

That drive for competition was lost for some time last year. Over the past few months, I would shrink back and allow everyone to pass me and never felt strong enough to call out the competitive girl in the back in my mind. I saw myself as out of shape, injured, or whatever word provided the excuse to coast during a run. My running was pretty pathetic, actually. Why in the hell was I even out there if I was worried about pushing myself too hard or if 4 miles was too much? Recovering from injury is important, but when I began to hold myself back simply because I was a little out of breath, I became the casual, half-fit 'jogger' that I didn't want to be.

I am a runner, not some lazy loafer that shys away from a challenge. I am not afraid of being sore, of feeling weak, of being last. In my gut, I like to prove to myself that I can do whatever I want to do.

So, I'm back. I ran my scheduled 'easy run' that Mac prescribed yesterday. However, on the trail, I started noticing my 'competition' again. I saw those folks that needed chasing down and I caught them. I kept a steady rhythm and let my heart rate get comfortable in a new faster pace. No worries, I still consider what I did an 'easy run'. I certainly am not going to disregard the coach's instructions. I simply found the fast runner in myself again.

Now if I can just get my speed to match my attitude...

No comments: