Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Book count 2008: Four

I think the last time I posted about reading, I wrote about The Kite Runner. Since then, I finished Eat, Pray, Love, and The Heaven of Mercury without blogging about them.


I bought Eat, Pray, Love at the airport on my way to Mexico in January and read the first half on the way there. On the way home, I finished the book. It was a fun read...deep and fluffy at the same time.

I don't remember when I decided to buy The Heaven of Mercury this month, but I knew that I wanted to read something that was a little 'tougher' in my mind. It was a National Book Award finalist (as you can see from the seal), and after reading the back of the book, I was convinced that I could handle it. It is a love story set in the South, so I thought it might have a nice fluffy side in addition to stellar writing. Well, I didn't get it apparently. I might have missed the point of the book, but I kept waiting for something to be revealed. There are lots of complexities throughout the book that keep you entertained and imagining what might come next, but I guess I didn't expect it to end the way that it did. I finished it on the way to Chicago this weekend. Oh well.

So, over the weekend, both Erin and Tara mentioned that they loved the book 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger. They went on about it long enough to convince me that I should put it next on the list of books that I read. This book is beyond reviewable. I cannot tell you how much I loved reading it. I could not put it down this morning (thank goodness work was a little slow) and sat at my desk sobbing like I did when I was a little girl reading Charlotte's Web for the first time and still smiling at the same time. I can't really explain what the book did to me while I was reading it, but it was like it (pardon the expression) stopped time for me and made me see everything in my own life with different senses.

I highly recommend reading this book.

3 comments:

Daryl & Diana said...

Oh for the days I could read on an airplane... instead of doling out goldfish.

Anonymous said...

What a flash back ! ...I remember the day I rushed into your room at age 4 and you were crying at the end of the Charlotte's Web book and it dawned on me that you really did know how to read...not just sound out letters and words. Time really does fly...

Anonymous said...

So glad you loved it Sadie!!! Now you know why it's my favorite book! I can't wait to talk about it in person...