Sunday, March 15, 2009

Soulbuster II

If you witnessed my run on the track today, you know it wasn't pretty. It finally took a breakdown followed by more running followed by Steve telling me 'You're sick' for it all to register. Here's the short (but thorough) recap.
  • I didn't sleep all that well. I woke up heavier than I have all season and very swollen.
  • I did my normal routine this morning...eat, drink, poop, pee. Nothing out of the ordinary.
  • When my bladder ached 5 minutes out of Gateway, I knew it would be a long day.
  • I had 6 pit stops total during the run today, four of which included #2. I pooped in the restroom at Russell's Bakery, Burger King, Mozarts, and the Austin High Tennis courts. (sorry for the TMI, but I was definitely feeling sick)
  • The 20 pre-track miles were fine otherwise. My left hip is still sore. The hills were a little much for my legs today.
  • On the track, I nailed MGP for my first two miles. After a lap of trying to go faster, I had a breakdown because I felt horrible in my guts.
  • Steve told me to run 800 really easy and give him one more mile at MGP. He wanted me to get out of the 'emotional' part of my breakdown.
  • I nailed my MGP mile after the breakdown, went straight to the port-o-potty, had nothing left in my intestines or bladder but felt like I had to go so bad. Instead I just sat there and sobbed.
  • Steve had good words for me and made me realize I really was actually sick and probably very dehydrated. It was okay to stop running at that point.
  • I have taken a three-bag ice bath. It was so cold that I still had big ice cubes left in the water after 20 minutes.
  • I lost over five pounds during the run in 40-50 degree temps. Five pounds after drinking water throughout the run, eating 3 GUs, and post-run half of our anniversary almond croissant.

Thanks to those who were out there and cheered for me. I will run strong again on another day.

3 comments:

Julia said...

You ran strong today when you consider the hurdles...good job, even if it doesn't feel like it...

Kevin said...

I'm in Austin and used the Austin high potty as well. I felt bad too but didn't run nearly as many miles as you.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing you ran what you did given how you were feeling.