Wednesday, March 04, 2009

March

Some thoughts about March -
  • In general, March weather is unpredictable. The weather can be downright nasty with wind and rain, or it can be gorgeous. Most of the time, I have found March to be cloudier than expected and colder than expected. Seems like when we get budding trees, I expect warm weather (like in the 90s).
  • Speaking of budding trees...I love this time of year for the color and smells of the trees. My favorite trees with the white buds have their traditional grape juice smells. The redbuds and mountain laurel trees are all showy and purple. From my window in the office, some of the trees that were very recently brown and twiggy are now showing a bright green burst of leaves. Hooray!
  • Our anniversary is March 15. We're not planning on making a big deal about it because we've already got a couple of vacations planned where we can celebrate. Maybe we'll go to a nice dinner here in Austin, but unfortunately there is a 'Soulbuster' long run scheduled for Sunday the 15th. That pretty much ensures that I'll want to keep it low key on Saturday night (and eat right), and by Sunday evening I'll likely be a zombie. Happy anniversary honey, you're going to have one tired wife.
  • I don't participate in many of the activities that keep Austin busy during March. I don't do SXSW, I don't have anything to do with the basketball tournament, I don't usually go to the rodeo unless there is a good concert that I want to go to, and I pretty much try to avoid the big crowds where they are.
  • Running in March can be difficult. If you are training for Boston or some other spring marathon, this is peak training time. Thirty one days of tough running typically makes the training log look awesome, but makes me completely exhausted. That, and it is usually capped off by running or racing the Capitol 10,000, which is not an easy 1ok. I'm looking forward to putting in the hard work now that it is March. I have my calendar set before me and I know what I've got to accomplish. There is a light at the end of the tunnel (way out there) and I'm looking forward to how it might feel to really be in shape.

No comments: