Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Running in Red

The topic of red running clothes came up this weekend on our long run. Brian saw Tara and I and noted that he knew it was me because of my red shirt. My response to a remark about red running clothes is always this - 'Red makes you faster'. It is the truth. If you are wearing red, it will make you run faster.

It's just a superstition that I have. Red is fiery. Red is hot. Red says you mean business. Red is a power color. Try wearing red during a race...see if you don't run faster.

4 comments:

Texas Transplant said...

Before I comment, I should explain that I came across your blog somehow because I am also a runner, from Austin. I think I was doing a search on running injuries. And so now I read it. I'm normal, I swear. I used to be a swimmer also. But I'll never be vegan. The similarities end there.

I tell my customers that "red is the color of champions." Usually I'm just trying to be funny, but I do believe it also.

Bri said...

Just to mention what started this off. I was running "Hills to Heaven" and I was behind two women runners. I don't know exactly what triggered it, but we know each runner has a certain style of movement, and I thought to myself that one of them looked like Sadie, and she was wearing red which is Sadie's signature color. So as I pulled alongside them and saw that one of them was indeed Sadie who said hello and we chatted about me recognizing her and her red top. As a response she and Tara explained that red makes them run faster. I said that I too have a bias for red ever since teaching and being drawn to the red pens and markers. I suggested that she write a blog post about it since I don't have any knowledge of color and speed like that, and thought that others should know it.

t-bell said...

Yes, red does make you faster. my red top and red lined shorts gave me an 11 minute PR in my last marathon. I'm sold.

kirsten said...

No wonder I had my PR in a red running skirt and red sports bra and red singlet at Boston this year.