Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Half marathon...and more

I'm get it. I understand. There is a difference between normal training for a race and training like Team Rogue trains.

With no disrespect to anyone who might be reading this who does not do this kind of training, I feel the need to talk about my 'medium long run' that I did last night. Fourteen miles is by no means the furthest distance I will run on a Tuesday or Thursday coming up in the next few months. It is, however, the longest weekday run I have ever had scheduled in all of my training groups so far to date. I remember when Mac had 12 on the schedule for a mid-week run during my first Boston training group and I thought he was insane.

I met Tara for the first 7 miles...my legs were feeling a little sluggish the first mile or so. We started to get into a rhythm and before we knew it our seven miles ended at a 1:03:26 or a 9:04 pace. Not bad. I ran the second seven miles by myself with my iPod. Since it was beginning to get dark, I guess I picked up the pace out of subconscious fear of the boogieman. My second 7 miles was 1:00:53 making my total 14 mile time 2:04:19 (or 8:53 pace).

It didn't dawn on me until I got in the car that my run was anything I would consider to be special. Then I started thinking...I know people who would love to do a half marathon in 2:04. I remember when I would love to run a 2:04. Then I realized that I ran the whole 14 in 2:04 and I needed to figure out what my time would have been for a half marathon at that pace. If I had been running a half marathon last night, I would have clocked 1:56:22. That is freaking cool! I reminded myself again that I did run a half marathon last night..and more. On a random Tuesday.

I am not a badass. I am faster than some people and slower than some people. However, running 14 miles a respectable race pace for my age group on a random Tuesday night is super cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job! You will amaze yourself with this training program. I promise!

I've been scared of my easy paces...they've gotten way faster and feel super easy;-) Welcome!