Monday, March 31, 2008

What's in a name?...Sadie Selima

I had the original name 'Sadie Selima Barrs' for 30 years, 5 months, and 4 days. When I was growing up, I rarely ran into another person named Sadie. I never heard of anyone with the name Selima. There were times where I was so embarrassed to say my middle name because it was so different and I thought it sounded slimy. It was hard as a kid having a name that is never on a coffee mug, pencil, or license plate that you find in gift shops. I never had the pleasure of being mistaken for the 'other Jennifer' growing up. If they said Barrs or Sadie, I knew they were talking about me.

Today I was able to remove Selima from my official name. I am now officially Sadie Barrs Jones.

No more Sadie Barr. No more Sadie Barnes. No more Sadie Bairs.

Now people can just say Sadie Jones. (or Sandy Jones, or Katie Jones, for the folks that can't handle 'Sadie')

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Selima means PEACE.
Sadie means PRINCESS.
You are still both.