Monday, March 31, 2008

Life as a new wife...observation 1 - man laundry

Let me preface this post by stating that I have never lived with a man before (other than my dad). I don't even have a brother. I have helped Chad fold his laundry before, but I have rarely had to handle dirty man clothes until we came back from our honeymoon this weekend.

Man laundry is different than girl laundry. I am used to how large my own piles of clothes get before they make a good sized washer-load. If you add man clothes to my clothes, all of a sudden the piles get much bigger, much faster. Man clothes are bigger and therefore add lots of bulk to a load of laundry.

I found that sorting the clothes is now a different process. Darks no longer consist of all colors (including a towel or two)...there would be way too much. Jeans have now been given their own load unto themselves. The white load has almost split into two as well.

One observation of mine is that man underwear is so much bigger than lady panties. Seriously, if you take undershirts and underwear, they might make their own load. I took advantage of this and finally gave my delicates the delicate cycle they deserve instead of just throwing them in with everything else to save loads. I mean, if we're going to have to wash these gigantic man clothes, then my lacy stuff might get lost in it all.

It is kind of a funny thing that I had never thought about, and it will definitely take some adjusting to. Laundry at the Jones house might have to be done more often than once a week now.

(I am not in any way complaining...just one of my first observations as a new wife.)

2 comments:

dr mel said...

Ah, yes. This is my reality, too. I washed (only) 2 loads last night, mostly K's clothes. I didn't have time to fold them this time though because I had other things to do, so I just dumped the basket on the bed for him to fold. He saw the huge pile of clothes there and said "Crap, that's a lot of clothes!" All of the running clothes and workout clothes make it so much more as well. Have fun!

MW said...

Let me guess.. a "Man Food" post is next, followed by "Man Snores", and "Man Sounds", and "Man Smells", and maybe even Man naps?!?!?
mmmm... naps!
; )