Monday, August 27, 2007

Sadie vs. Elliptical Trainer - Episode 4

Episode 4: People watching - Full house

I made it to the gym today, prepared to do 1:40 on the elliptical to replace a 10 mile run. I figured it would be crowded because it was 5:15pm on a Monday afternoon, and boy was I right. I managed to hop on the last available elliptical, the one that is on the end where everyone has to walk past you to get anywhere. It kind of sticks out past all of the bikes and there is a small walkway for people to come down the row of treadmills and elliptical machines. I felt very weird with nothing in front of me to look at, and I found myself watching everyone as they came up the stairs. So, I made up a game of the situation.

Whenever someone would reach the top of the stairs, they had 2 options. Option 1 - turn right to go to the group exercise room. Option 2 - turn left and enter the land of treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and rowing machines. If a person chose option 2 and turned left (which was just about everyone) I watched them until they looked at me. It never took long because I remind you that I was on the weird elliptical machine on the end, the one with nothing in front of me to block their view, and as soon as each one turned left and looked up from the stairs, I was right in their line of sight.

Of course, there is no prize to the people watching game, but I would say that I had a 95% success rate with the people who turned left. The other 5% must have been really into avoiding eye contact.

In addition to making eye contact with people, I saw about 15 different variations of push-ups off of the Bosu Ball and other medicine balls. One guy did all sorts of fancy stretches and calisthenics, but what was really weird was that he was younger than me...aren't those kinds of stretches reserved for men over the age of 55? There were some definite downsides to my spot at the gym, too. I saw one poor woman with a white singlet and white spandex shorts. I am sorry to report that she was also wearing a black bra (not the sports bra type) and turquoise bikini briefs and had worked up a good sweat during her workout to allow me to know that much about her.

So, it continues to be interesting at the gym. Someday very soon I'm sure the entertainment will get old. Another workout down...1:40.

1 comment:

dr mel said...

Great job, Sadie! 1:40! Let me know if you want to meet up at the gym sometime this week in the evening.