Monday, August 06, 2007

Run from Hell

Finally, Saturday arrived. We ran my favorite Rogue route: The Run from Hell. The name sounds scary to most who have not tried it. This year our group was treated to an extra special version of the RFH. Instead of it being a 14 miler and doing 1 loop around the Westlake hills, we were told to do 2 loops...almost 19 miles.

Why do I like this run? Because I am smart and competitive and the route allows me to take advantage of both of those qualities. My strategy is to start conservatively and let everyone take off on the first hills of Stratford. After that, I let my climbing skills take over and pick off as many people as I can for the rest of the run. I love watching people 'break' on a hill when they get to that moment where they just cannot take it any more. I really enjoy passing these people with good form and plenty of energy on the same hill. It is really competitive of me and probably not something I should admit publically, but I can't help it.

I had a great run. I did not let anyone pass me and passed lots of folks on the way in. Our coach, Ruth, made a comment about how she could tell that I was having a great day because my face was clearly one of the most positive out there.

3 comments:

JohnF said...

That is one my favorite runs too. What is wrong with us?

dr mel said...

I'm glad you had such a good Run from Hell run, Sadie! You are way tougher than me!

MW said...

I loved the double loop in the Pyrenees.
I took it semi easy on Stratford as the NY and Dallas clowns were running like they were all tough, but then, as expected, all but one turned around at Amy's water stop. Then, after one loop, the sole adventurous one opted to only do one loop. That was when it was time run away. Why did I secretly find myself running even harder as I lapped some of the beginners?