Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sadie vs. Elliptical Trainer - Episode 1

Episode 1 - toddPod sabotage

I set out to conquer my first workout on the elliptical this evening. I am a member of 24 hour fitness, so I prepared myself with towel, ID card, and toddPod(my iPod). The workout that I had planned to simulate tonight was 6 miles easy. The plan was for 60 minutes on the elliptical. I found an elliptical machine that worked and tried to turn on the Todd to hear my music.

Todd did not have any charge left in his battery! He has been very faithful to me over the past year, getting me through many a tough, lonely run. Today I think he was giving me his own personal protest against the gym and the elliptical workout. He was trying to sabotage my workout. The nerve!

Faced with the problem of doing a 60 minute elliptical workout without any music, I panicked slightly. If you have ever worked out at the Arboretum 24 hour, you know the TVs there require an FM radio to hear the audio, which meant that I was only going to have the hum of the machines and the clinks of the weights in the background to entertain me during the workout.

I did it, though. I completed the time.

Luckily, the TV closest to me had captioning and the show 'Power of 10' was on. It is not a great show to watch in general, but if you analyze my situation, you will realize it is the perfect show to watch. It is a very visual show in terms of the graphs and displaying the questions. It was so easy to figure out what the contestants were being asked and what level of money they were on. There wasn't really a story line to have to follow like in most other shows.

There were many other interesting things that were going on in the gym as well, and being an excellent observer and people watcher was to my advantage today.

Todd...you better work next time. I'm charging you up.

2 comments:

MW said...

aha!
you may have figured out the correct way to watch that horrendous show!

dr mel said...

I miss that gym! I worked out there ALL the time when I lived up North. I've had a hard time getting back into the gym groove since we moved though. I've been going up to Hancock Center lately...let me know if you ever want to meet up for a gym workout!