Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Swelling

Something is going on with my body. I'm going to blame it on the cedar, but there's no telling what it is. I'm completely swollen. Not just in my legs, either. At first I thought it was from running. Then I thought I had just eaten too much over the last few weeks, but gaining 6-7 pounds while running 60-70 miles per week doesn't make much sense. Building that much muscle doesn't even make sense, so don't even try to go there.

It is also not salt-related. I have not had any extra salt over and above what I normally have. Lisa (my massage therapist) suggested that I look into my calcium intake to make sure that I'm getting enough. I haven't been taking my vitamin lately, so hopefully that is the singular solution.

How do I know that my body has swelled? My legs are massive. I can't fit in my jeans. The swelling is painful, too. It feels like what I think compartment syndrome feels like, except it is not just in my calves. I cannot even dream of taking my wedding ring off. It is stuck below the knuckle until my body goes back to its normal size.

So sad. The only consolation to any of this is that my legs have swollen proportionate to their normal size, so I don't have 'cankles'. That would be really hot if I could get me some cankles :).

Any recommendations or previous experience with total body swelling? I'm not taking a 'water pill' either. It's too dangerous to start experimenting with potassium with the amount of running that I'm doing.

2 comments:

holly said...

This happens to me after any run over 20 miles. Seriously on really long runs I will gain 5 lbs instead of loosing it, my pants and rings don't fit. It would go away with in a couple days. Watching my salt intake seemed to help, but mostly just waiting a couple days.

I talked about it to Meredith once and she said the same thing happens to her. I just try to drink plenty of fluids (as we all do) and it would go down.

Could be your new medicine?

Daryl & Diana said...

I had swelling after both my kids from the epi. The dr. recommended lemon water.