Friday, January 30, 2009

Chasing a Number

Dilemma time. I have given myself the potential to hit 300 miles for the month. Earlier in the week I thought I would never hit it. There were just too many miles to run by midnight Saturday. I have instead been inspired to get it done due to some bonus miles that have snuck their way into the week. Here are a few options that I think are doable...Unfortunately, all of them still require that I run on Sunday.

Option 1 - Run 3.5 miles today (before lunch - losing my rest day), Run 24 miles tomorrow (which requires getting up extra early and is not what Tara is going to do)

Option 2 - Run 5.5 miles today (ugh - even more miles - losing my rest day), Run 22 miles tomorrow (which is what I was planning to do)

Option 3 - Take my rest day (love this idea, but...), Run 24 miles tomorrow in the morning (which requires getting up extra early and is not what Tara is going to do), see how I feel and run the 3.5 miles sometime before midnight.

Option 4 - Ignore the 300 mile mark for January and end up at 295 (ugh - so close!)

My status at this point in the morning is - chilly in the house, sniffly due to some strange allergen in the air, and a little achy from yesterday (I ran 10.5 with 4 miles steady state in the morning, then 5.6 in the afternoon), however have lots of clean running clothes available and the iPod fully charged.

What do you think I should do?

9 comments:

t-bell said...

Go for it. You are so close. Run 3.5 today early; then run 22 tomorrow, and the last 2 sometime tomorrow evening. Then take Sunday off. I think I can do 22 with you tomorrow, but 24 is too much for me at this point.

Unknown said...

Do it, you're soooo close!
I second T-bell.

MW said...

i don't third them necessarily.

Here's why July 380, Aug - 382, Sep 287.75, Nov 275.83.
Last year i was pretty close to hitting milestones. But every time, I thought of the bigger picture, and what my goal really was. My goal was to run well in my race.

So, my opinion is, it depends how you feel. Truly listen to your body. If it's telling you to rest, then rest. Don't dig yourself into a hole. If you're feeling good, then go for it, but don't do it, just because you're getting cocky.

Then again, I killed myself running four 100 mile weeks last year, of which 2 were really stupidly done, so who am i to speak!

; )

If tara is going 22, run 22 with her, then consider adding 2 miles on the backend. or, show up 20 minutes earlier and run 2 on the front end then 22 with her.

Then again, Dionn is looking for someone to run with today, so if you need a running partner... contact her! email me and i'll give you her contact info...

Dionn said...

you are SO close..I say GO FOR IT also!!

CJ said...

run 22 tomorrow and then drag me out for two more in the evening.

Sadie J said...

I'm going to do 22 with Tara tomorrow. I've already broken up the miles today into very small chunks to git 'r done. I will hit 300 for the month and hopefully 90 for the week. If I feel like shit on Sunday, I'll hit 83 for the week and take a rest day. I can also switch and take a rest day next Wednesday if I need to. Or, I might make it until next Friday with the rest day.

I'm definitely gonna listen to my body. I never get cocky...fully expecting to bonk at any moment keeps me from overexerting.

kirsten said...

I like what Mike says. About the big picture. I always try and keep the big picture out in front of me when I am considering busting ass to run too much or to run with people that are way too fast for me. The race is the end result not how many miles you do. If squeezing in a mile here or there is what you have to do to achieve your race goal than so be it...if the extra squeezed in miles are there simply to achieve a mileage goal than they sound like junk miles, which from what I've read are wasteful of your energy. Be careful Sadie.

MW said...

i changed my mind... and not because Kirsten commented similar to me...

5 miles is nothing.
GO GET'EM, and don't disappoint me!

Sadie J said...

The issue with the number 300 and the week is that I'm going to have to get in 90 miles between now and Sunday...except Sunday miles count for February. I am simply opting to run some on Friday so that I can meet the 300 goal before Saturday Jan 31 and reduce the number of miles run on Sunday to finish out the 90 mile week. Based on all of the suggestions, it was an easy choice to run some today and go for the 300 miles. The difference is now I don't have to run as many on Sunday to reach the 90 mile.

Also, there is no such thing as junk miles in this program. All runs are important (and should be easy miles) and the goal is to run as many miles as my body can handle. I can break them up into any distances I want to allow my body to handle the load as long as I maintain the Medium Long Run during the week and the Long Run on the weekend at their specified distances. Also, I have been told by my coach that it is ideal to run as many days of the week as I can...it is only if I need to take the day off for my own reasons that I should.