Saturday, January 31, 2009

300.48 - January 2009 Total Mileage

I did it. Today's run was especially strong.

My 8 mile warmup with Tara was at 9:30 pace...nice and easy because it was really dark and I kept having to visit the potty. At 7:00am, we started behind everyone else doing the 14 miler from Rogue because we were stuck in the potty line. Starting late turned out to be a good thing because we got to pass a bunch of people on the way out. I knew I was going to have a good run today, so I told Tara that I was going to run her into the ground :). I didn't mean it in a bad way, and she certainly didn't protest. Mostly, I said it to announce to both of us that I planned to run strong and close fast. We have this unspoken rule that we don't leave each other on a route, so I knew if I pushed the pace, she would keep up, and if it was too fast, I'd be able to tell and relax for a while. I found myself falling behind her on the uphills and pushing the pace on the downhills. The deal was that I could pull away at Guadalupe if I was feeling good.

After the 7 mile turnaround point, we got into a groove and I felt really good approaching Dean Keeton. My plan was to run easy/steady up the hill and once we were at Guadalupe I was going to start my close. The plan worked. I started picking up the pace at Guadalupe and felt like I was definitely going sub-8:00 miles for the last 2-3 miles. It was likely even 7:30 miles, but I need to start taking splits at landmarks if I want to be more sure.

Here are the stats -
22.2 miles -
8.1 miles at 9:30 pace
7.06 miles at 8:49 pace (mostly uphill)
7.06 miles at 8:11 average pace (mostly downhill)

If I estimate that when we turned around I started running 8:30 pace, that would indicate that I closed at around 7:45 pace (including the little hill at San Jacinto). If we turned around and continued the 8:49 pace, that would indicate that I closed at around 7:19 pace. I'll take either of those!

It has been a good month. What is scary is that my number could have been 350 miles if I had done all of my miles when I was in Mexico. Crazy!

4 comments:

kirsten said...

Nice work!!! Now get in the ice bath!!

MW said...

Awesome!

I don't like the song.
; )

Bri said...

You were really really haulin' a** out there this morning. When you passed me on Guadalupe this morning you looked so strong. After that I felt the game was on and I did everything in my power to chase you all the way to Rogue. Thank you for doing this. You kept me pushing even though there was no way no how of catching you. You were flying. Great run and congrats on making 300 - that's awesome.

StephW said...

Great job Sadie!!