Sunday, January 04, 2009

Answers to recent questions...

I've gotten some questions lately in blog comments and in my everyday life about what I'm doing now in my training. Here are some answers...
  • I'm ramping up my miles as part of the Team Rogue training group. The program incorporates a phase where you run high mileage weeks to build a big aerobic base. It is based on Arthur Lydiard's training methods (see slide show if unfamiliar...I am in the Marathon Conditioning Phase). Basically, you run as many miles as your body can run in a certain time period with stipulations about when your longer runs should be spaced throughout the week.
  • As part of the team, I get to decide how many miles I want to try to build to during my base phase. I picked 90 miles per week based on my previous marathon training experience. I have handled 70 mile peak weeks in two of my previous marathon training programs with the added component of 'quality' workouts. I think my body will be able to handle 90-120 miles of running a week without the quality, so that is why I have set my initial goal at 90. If my body doesn't let me get there, I'm okay with that, too.
  • Part of my goals with this group is to be in the best shape of my life. It is not really about running a race at a particular time this spring. This season is about seeing what my body can do without any restrictions...how many miles can I handle, how fast can I get, what will my body look like, how will my body handle this level of training now with Thyroid medication entered into the mix? I don't care about my time this spring, necessarily. I'm hoping to get as fast as possible and be in the best shape I can be.
  • My next marathon will be on a random Saturday during training :). While that is true, the next marathon I have signed up for is Nashville (Country Music Marathon) on April 25th. I will run as fast as my body will allow with a smart negative-split race plan. We'll just have to see how fit I am before I pick a goal time.
  • Beyond Nashville, my goals are for the fall. I train well over the summer, so I'm excited to see what two seasons from now will look like. I have goals that seem far-fetched right now, but we'll see how strong and fast I get. If Chad does Pikes Peak again, I will likely try to do the Ascent and kill it climbing that mountain. I will break 4:00 for sure and will also try to be one of the fastest flat-land women to climb.

4 comments:

Bri said...

That's impressive. Thanks for the info. I hope that you'll be able to reach all your goals. Unlike you I'm in the downward/decreasing side of the performance equation, and can only dream about things like this - that is, they'll never come about for me. In any case, best wishes.

Unknown said...

I'm excited we'll be training together;-)

MW said...

hello Bri, we don't know each other, however, I felt compelled to comment on you comment based on things
I experienced while running through the summer/fall as part of the program Sadie is in now. Don't think you're on the the downward side. If that's what you decide for yourself, then that's what will come. Reason I say this...
I am 36 and ran a 3:08, along side of me was a 48 year old friend that went from a 3:26PR to a 3:08. A 49 year old friend ran a 3:03 in San antonio bettering his PR from 18years ago! Another female friend who is 55 or 56 had a PR of 4:05 or so, and ran a 3:55, and is convinced that she can run a sub 3:48 next fall. (she's taking a few months off to run with some friends for fun).
Anyway, if you believe in yourself, with the proper training and of course the personal interest in making it happen... It will!
Run happy,
Mike

Amy said...

Hi Sadie!

~the amy who bakes