Sunday, March 18, 2007

Brrrrr....

...the dreaded ice bath!

So, Chad and I slept in today. We were both needing some extra sleep, Chad because he works really hard and has been waking up early, me because I have not been recovering as well as I would like from runs.

After a good breakfast and a couple hours of NCAA basketball tournament viewing I was ready to get in my 6 mile run for the day. Chad did not feel like running, so he tagged along on his mountain bike. It is nice to have company on a run. My legs felt like bricks again...UGH! I waddled through about 1.5 miles and had to stop. I was pooped! It was hot and my legs hurt.

I committed to going out a little further to the 2 mile mark and turning around for an out-and-back 4 miles. Luckily, the clouds covered the sun, a breeze began to blow, and I felt better almost immediately. I told Chad that I would need to do an ice bath because I had not treated my body properly after the 13 mile run yesterday.

We went to Subway(Chad actually got a sandwich!) and stopped off at the Valero for a bag of ice. Upon returning home, I ate and quickly filled the tub about halfway with cold water. I asked Chad to sit upstairs with me and watch basketball and talk to me while I was in the tub as a way to distract me.

I was such a baby! The water was so cold without the ice that I whined and pretty much acted like a child. It took several minutes for me to get my body in the water. Then it was time for the ice. Chad was nice enough to come in and torment me with the ice by tossing in one cube at a time...no really he just teased for a while and then dumped the whole bag in. I sucked it up after that. 15 minutes in the ice bath! Wahoo! Afterwards, I didn't even try to take the immediate hot shower that I normally do. I got out and tried to warm up on my own for about 15 minutes before I got back in to take my shower.

The result? My legs did feel somewhat better, and it was confirmed that Chad is the best guy around.

No comments: