Thursday, April 15, 2010

mad at wheat

I'm so pissed at myself. The past 16 hours have been really tough for me. See, I have been slowly been giving myself permission to eat bits of wheat again when I feel like 'the baby wants it'. It started with one biscuit many weeks ago, then a slice or two of 'real pizza' from Papa Johns and has escalated to the point where during vacation I thought it would be okay to have things like sandwich bread, pita bread, half of a muffin, carrot cake (shared), and cookies on the plane. See, my logic was that wheat tends to give me the same symptoms that I have been dealing with recently because of the pregnancy, so if I was going to have to suffer with gas, bloating and intestinal discomfort anyhow, I might as well get to eat the good stuff.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Bad decision. Monday - Pita bread - just gas. Tuesday - 1/2 muffin, sandwich bread at lunch, 1/2 carrot cake slice at dinner, biscoff cookies on plane - gas, intestinal discomfort, bloating. Wednesday - 2/3 foccacia bread pizza at dinner - it almost killed me. I was so miserable. I think the increase in wheat over the past three days caused a corresponding increase in symptoms. I could not sleep. I was in pain. I was swollen. I was in pain. I had the worst bloating and gas since before I decided to go wheat-free last year.

I'm so sorry body. I will do better. If the baby wants 'real' bread, I'll try to tell the baby no. I will not eat bread just because it makes restaurant choices easier. I may slip up and have another biscuit, because let's face it, they are damn good. But really, I'll choose better.

Physically, this has been the worst 16 hours since last year. I'm absolutely miserable right now. Ugh.

No comments: