Thursday, December 03, 2009

Full-fledged Adult

There are times now that I'm all grown up where I catch myself doing full-fledged adult things. I realize that I've been an adult for a long time now and don't think I behave like an immature person very often (though Chad might disagree). I tend to be responsible and thoughtful about my decisions, but most of the time I still see myself as younger than I really am. If the 20s are all about setting foundations and figuring out who we are as adult humans, then the 30s must be about having fun and developing those 'baby adult' lives we have started.

Every once in awhile I stop myself and think..."This is a really adult thing to do." These last few weeks in particular I have stopped to think about it all. - We're shopping for tile. We're shopping for toilets. We bought carpet. We really do own a house. I have a husband. We eat a home-cooked dinner because I prepared it. Wait a minute...I can cook and I like beets and brussel sprouts and kale and bok choy and all kinds of squash. I love the dentist. I'm a full-fledged adult alright.

Today at the dentist I caught myself reading the magazine Real Simple, and it had one of those beauty spreads that suggested beauty products for different age groups. Instead of immediately starting with the '20s' suggestions, I realized that I have finally made the transition to starting with the '30s' graphics. Wow, I really do have some of those 30s skin issues. Looking at what is offered to the 20s, I really don't want to look silly trying to wear those uber-young looking clothes that are pushed on them. I like the looks that my '30s' age group should be wearing, what a relief!

This gal, chick, lady, woman, whatever, is really starting to enjoy this adulthood thing. Enjoyment...must be what the 30s are all about.

1 comment:

The MOB said...

The 30's are the BEST!