Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Turkey day cooking has begun!

Currently on my stove, I've got a pot of sweet potatoes ready to boil and my family's favorite cranberry-orange sauce in progress.

Lots of people do cranberry orange, but mine tastes really good and is super simple...

1 bag fresh cranberries (16 oz)
1 cup fresh orange juice (I use Goodflow brand)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (I use Central Market Organics evaporated cane juice sugar)

- Rinse and remove stems from cranberries. In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium high heat, put in cranberries, orange juice, and sugar. Stir slightly to mix sugar and orange juice as the mixture warms. You will hear a popping sound as the cranberries reach cooking temperature. Boil mixture for 5-10 minutes, taking care that the pan does not overflow. Stir as necessary. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until consistency is thick enough for you.

Remove from heat and place in a pretty serving bowl. Let cool, then refrigerate. For an optional garnish, peel and section an orange and arrange around the outside of the bowl.

I will be preparing Sweet Potatoes from Paula Deen's Savannah Country Cookbook (altered to match my grandmother's pecan topping) and a citrus salad. Chad and I also have a surprise dish that we are sure will be a hit!

1 comment:

dr mel said...

Sounds yummy, Sadie. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!