Monday, October 29, 2007

My 30th Birthday Weekend - Part 1

This is how the weekend was supposed to go -

Friday - lunch with mom, bake blueberry muffins, dinner at 3Forks with Dad, Rose, and Chad
Saturday - breakfast birthday party with friends, UT game, dinner at Cru Wine Bar with Chad
Sunday - sleep in, run, brunch at Chez Zee (mmm...Creme Brulee French Toast) with Mom and Chad, afternoon of whatever I want
Monday - dinner at North with Chad's family

This is what really happened -

Friday - lunch with mom at Hyde Park Bar & Grill (I had tomato bisque soup and a dinner salad), made blueberry muffins for breakfast, went to dinner at 3 Forks (I had the 3Forks salad, halibut entree, and shared chocolate cake for dessert), went to Chad's mom's house to visit with his family until about 11:30 pm.

Saturday - at about midnight on Saturday morning, I told Chad that my tummy was not feeling good and that I was worried about it. He asked if I was going to throw up, and I said 'maybe'. I tried to go to sleep. I woke up at about 12:45 and knew that I was going to be very sick. I threw up multiple times during that episode and felt horrible. I hoped that would be it.

It wasn't.

I barfed and had diarrhea all night long. They were the worst episodes that I can remember since the time I was really little. Chad made a trip to the Walgreens at around 2:00 in the morning to get me some Pepto Bismol, some Sprite, and some ponytail holders to hold back my hair. How coincidental was it that we were scouring his house for a hair tie earlier in the night when I needed one to wash my face? There are usually 3 or 4 lying around everywhere that his kitty tries to steal and play with. There were none to be found.

At about 5:00am, I made the decision that I was not improving and that I was not well enough to host my breakfast party at the park. Chad was going to have to go get the tacos and set up the party on his own. I called my mom to come over and stay with me while he was out. I am so lucky to have a mom that lives close and is able to come over at a moment's notice. She was there in time for Chad to say goodbye and head off for the party.

I continued to be sick throughout the morning, making trips from the bed to the bathroom. I had started to try to drink gatorade and water to try to replenish some of the lost fluids. That didn't quite work. I threw up all of the Sprite and Gatorade at about 8:30am. No good.

The best part of the morning was calling Chad to check on him. I was so happy to hear the voices in the background that sounded like they were enjoying themselves. I even got to hear 'Happy Birthday to you' sung to me a couple of times during the morning. It was really nice! I will admit that I broke down in tears the first time because I was so upset to be missing my own party! I had a little pity party in the bed with my mom and she just let me cry it out.

1 comment:

dr mel said...

We missed you, Sadie. You were right though...those muffins were great!