Thursday, April 12, 2007

Legs of steel - The Fearsome Foursome

I had legs of steel at workout tonight. Yesterday, Chad and I went to the gym to lift and to run. Well, I decided that it was time to up the weights a little and I increased the number of lunges to about 40. We also ran 5.6 miles afterwards on stiff legs. Wow! It is amazing how fatigued your legs can feel with just a little added weight.

I wake up on Thursday (today) to legs that are screaming at me. Yeah, they are looking better in the mirror with a little bit of 'cut' from the weights, but I also wonder if they will hurt this bad all day. The lunges have taken their toll.

So since I have been out of town, tonight was my first Mac workout for over a week. It was a doozie (as usual). He names a few of his workouts to induce a healthy respect for what we are running, so seeing 'Fearsome Foursome' on the schedule definitely made me a little apprehensive. To complicate things even more, my legs are killing me! I have not felt so sore in a long time.

The Fearsome Foursome is basically a set of hill repeats at 5k pace. You run uphill at 5k pace about 200m. Then, you turn around and run back down at an even steady pace, but as a recovery. Your split is supposed to be exactly the same going up and down, so the downhill is not really an easy jog, but rather more of an MGP type feel. You go up and down the hill 4 times with no break. Yeah, it is only a mile, but by repeat number 3 you are definitely in the anaerobic zone.

So we did our mile of repeats, ran the Zilker mile easy, then did another set of repeats to finish the workout. I rocked! I did the workout exactly right, and definitely felt my sore legs the entire way. What a mental workout it was for me. I am strong. I am sore. I have legs of steel.

No comments: