Friday, May 01, 2009

Shake it, Shake, Shake it

Did my post-marathon shake out run yesterday. Ouch, did it hurt! It was 5pm, hot and muggy outside. I wore a cotton shirt (awesome!) to remind me of what it was like when I was a newbie runner. Really, I didn't want to get another shirt dirty for the week. Did my regular 3 mile loop in the hood. Little bit of residual hip soreness, but my quads were the big killer. I had no idea my quads were still holding onto some funk.

Anyhow, the legs felt much better after the run.

As part of my little break from the marathon and mini-recovery, I've committed to start strengthening some of the muscles in my body that need to be in better shape...glutes, quads, hamstrings, balancing and stabilizing muscles in my foot/lower leg, and abs. I did lunges, side-stepping squats, calf raises, jumping drills, one-legged exercises that I learned from Molly, and some ab work. I felt really good afterwards and as expected, this morning my legs are sore (in a good way).

I like running three miles and doing strengthening exercises. It's fun :).

1 comment:

MW said...

need comment on what music i'm listening to!

Also, "Really, I didn't want to get another shirt dirty for the week. "
HA HA HA HA

That made me laugh, because these days I hate laundry, and I was just telling the dudes on our run yesterday that I was happy warm weather was back so i only had to worry about shorts, socks and shoes, and give my washing machine a much needed rest from all the tech shirts from winter running.