Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Down Time Rant

I'm not naming names. If you are reading this and think I'm talking about you, maybe you should take an extra day off of running just to be sure I'm not. Sort of like that Carly Simon song.

I just don't get why some people have jumped right back into marathon training mode. For those of us who ran Boston/Nashville, today is just now the 15th/10th day post-marathon. Some of my teammates are back to running 10+ miles a day and are already at 60/70 mile weeks. Forget the 10-15 days post-marathon, they were right back at it within a few days of their race. WTF? Well, really I get that there are reasons they have started running so much, but those are issues they can work out for themselves.

Most everyone I know who ran Boston/Nashville raced for a PR and gave their full effort or were forced to deal with hot weather that also took a toll on their bodies. These are also people whose idea of a taper...oh wait, we're calling a taper a 'peak phase' because we're not really lowering our mileage all that much...is running 40-60 miles all the way up through the week of the marathon. Umm...have these people forgotten that your body and mind must rest after a big race? All major athletes take a break. 10 days (or less) isn't really a break.

I get that everyone has their own needs and everyone gets to start back at their own pace and mileage levels. I get that we all have to start running again soon and that the 'high mileage' is part of the game. What I don't get is why people's actions don't reflect what has been told to us over the years....you cannot run an 'A' race over and over every 6 months (or in this case less than 6 months if you count from December to April). Why the hell are people jumping back in to a high load 10-15 days post PR marathon? WTF?

Running is awesome. Running at a particular training intensity must also be respected (mentally and physically). In my opinion (and if you are upset about this post so far because you know I'm talking about your last 10-15 days, why don't you just go ahead and ignore this next part), heavy legs, tiredness, any of that crap at this point in the season is just asking for trouble later in August. Why in the world should any of us feel tired 10-15 days post-marathon? We should feel rejuvenated, refreshed, ready to start back at the higher intensity in the coming weeks.

I'm just sayin'. I'm doing my thing and what's best for me. It is hard to see time and time again how people get tired, injured, and a little pissy come mid-July. They wonder why running is not as enjoyable as it should be. The answer is this - Your mind and body are tired because you never took that break like you were supposed to.

Rant, rant, rant.No one wants to hear about how much people are training right now. Our official training program hasn't started for a reason. It's much better to enjoy running later in the season because you took your break than to enjoy running now and pay for it later.

Whatever...I'm gonna go on vacation. I'm gonna run some. I'm also gonna lie on a chair and do the 'Sadie version' of eating bon bons. When I get back from vacation I will hopefully be rested enough to train full force again with the high miles and enjoy it as much as I did last season.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your rant made me laugh...i think it's called OCD. just a guess.

hmmm, i've finally started running 3-4 miles with a grand total of 15 mile weeks;-) I believe I'm an extremist...

go enjoy your vacation. please drink some umbrella drinks for me.

Sadie J said...

Yes ma'am! Umbrella drinks it is! I'll have at least one mai tai, but after that I might have to put an umbrella in my wine glass. Wine and salad should keep me in bikini shape, right?

Keith said...

Amen sister, preach on. I have run a grand total of 2 miles since Nashville, and I'm loving the break. Enjoy the vacation!

Kevin said...

Well said, Sistah Sadie! And by the way, with my move coming on Friday (wow, Friday, can't believe its here so fast) I wanna join one of those running groups you are talking about, though I dont wanna be running 60 miles a week until I have to.

kirsten said...

I enjoyed a stress free, eat what you want week in Toronto after Boston. I ran twice totally for fun - with a backpack. I have run twice since being back in town - 7.5 and 3.5 miles. I have gone cycling, used the elliptical, done some core work and ridden my horse!! I am going to enjoy every second of the next month before training starts. Enjoy your vacation Sadie!!!