Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Working Out the Workouts

An update on running/non-running workouts - The past recovery week has been pretty great as far as workouts are concerned.
  • We got back from Oregon late Tuesday night and Wednesday was a complete day off.
  • Thursday evening I attempted to run 3 miles as a post-race shake out run and by the end of 2 miles I wanted to stop, not because I was hurting all that bad, but because I just didn't feel like running anymore. If I hadn't been running with Chad, I probably would have walked home. Add to that edging the front yard and it was a good way to end the day being active.
  • Friday involved plans to go aquajogging with Katie, but waking up to thunderstorms and heavy rain nixed those plans pretty quickly. I didn't bother trying to squeeze in any other workout and just took the lazy Friday as an off day.
  • On Saturday, Tara and I went to Kula Yoga to try the Yoga for Athletes class. I liked it pretty well. Parts of the class were easy and relaxing because it was first thing in the morning, while at other times during the class, my legs were burning and shaking as I tried to hold poses that should have been only moderately difficult. In all, it was a great balance of poses, perfect for post-marathon stretching and strengthening. Add to that tea and oatmeal at The Coffee Bean, and it was a great off-season Saturday morning.
  • Sunday was attempt #2 at running. I managed to do 3 miles again, and it was easier than Thursday's run. I felt my hamstring and my toe, but the blood flow to both areas seems to be relaxing the muscles and joints. Part of me also thinks that all repetitive upward dog/downward dog transitions in yoga aggravated my toe joint. I'm going to have to be mindful of that as I roll from the top of my foot to the bottom. Oh, and speaking of the aftermath of yoga...my shoulders were so freaking sore. I guess running doesn't really use the shoulders and upper arms like yoga does. Ouch!
  • Monday morning was better weather-wise for aquajogging until we all got to the pool. Big Stacy Pool is supposed to be heated by a thermal spring in the winter, but apparently that has to be 'turned on'. The water was not warm at all! Boo! We all still got in 30 minutes of aquajogging, but if they don't turn on the heat soon, I don't see us braving the chilly waters as much.
  • Monday afternoon I went to another yoga class - Ashtanga I. I used to practice Ashtanga several years ago, so I knew that I needed to start again at the beginner level to not be completely embarrassed. Goodness, I'm glad I went to the level I class, because it turned out to be less explanation of the practice and poses and more of just diving into the sequence. I somewhat wished the instructor would have called the transition of breaths to movements a little more thoroughly for a beginner level, but I hung in there. Actually, I think I did pretty well for not having practiced in years. Running has definitely hurt my flexibility. It was obvious in a few poses that I could not bend like I used to and couldn't advance to the next variation like I used to. It is no matter, but the change in my body was obvious.
I'm going to keep up the yoga, the aquajogging, and the three mile runs for at least another week. I might throw in some weights and some hiking (not running) on the greenbelt soon as well for variety's sake. I hope all of my other Portland peeps are doing well and recovering, too. I don't miss the running as much as I do the group.

No comments: