Thursday, October 29, 2009

Running Update

Well, there is not much to report on the running front. I still have not completed a run without pain. My hamstring and hip still hurts and my toe is still painful. Argh! Before you say "you need to stop running", consider that I really haven't done a whole lot. I would say that of the people who ran Portland, I'm probably one of the lowest total mileage runners of the group, if not the lowest at this point. If not, I'm guessing my longest run is the shortest 'long run' of the group.

October is shaping up to have fewer than 60 miles total running, and that is including the marathon mileage. This is the lowest monthly total that I have had since the month of our wedding and honeymoon in March 2008. Before that, I think the months of my the debilitating hip injury in Sept/Oct 2007 had the lowest mileage total, but not by much. Taking out the marathon mileage on Oct 4 puts all of these months at about even. Pathetic, but at least I know I'm doing my body good.

Since October 4, I have run a whopping 23.3 miles. Each week I have run no more than two times (for 7 total runs) and the furthest I have run at one time is 4.2 miles. The fastest pace of those runs hovers right around 9:10 pace. I have been to five yoga classes and have aquajogged three times as well. Fifteen workouts in twenty-four days is pretty relaxing for a marathoners 'rest time', especially considering over half of them have been crosstraining. I have had nine complete 'off days', which equals the number of off days that I took in the entire last seven weeks of marathon training and that includes the 'taper weeks'.

Today I get a massage from Lisa, which I should have scheduled a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully her magical painful hands will work on these tired legs. I would really like to run again, but I don't want to feel pain anymore. It just isn't fun. I may have to break down and not run a single step for a week or so. I will go crazy if that happens.

Oh yeah...for my birthday I got a big chunk of cash money, so it looks like my wish of getting a cruiser bike will come true! I'm hoping to do some more test riding this weekend, so maybe I'll have another crosstraining activity to add to my non-running days! Hurray!

No comments: