Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Like riding a bike...

...except I don't fall off of it and fracture my arm.

I guess you never forget how to swim. Getting into the pool again felt pretty good. The last time I was part of a team training for anything swim related was seventeen years ago. In the last 17 years, I can count the number of times I've swum laps on my two hands. I really don't like having the smells of the pool on my body, because inevitably I will still smell the pool on my skin long after my hot, soapy shower.

I didn't get back into the pool with an easy distance, either. This morning I swam 2400m. I even crafted a see-how-it-goes workout. 400 free, 200 breast, 200 free, 100 breast kick, 100 free kick, 10x50 free on :55 (it amazes me how slow my freestyle has gotten), 10x50 breast on :55, 100 free kick, 100 breast kick, 200 cooldown (free, back, breast, free). My heartrate was up for a little while, and I can definitely feel that my arms are going to be sore. My stroke technique is still there. I can still turn at the walls. I still have an awesome breaststroke pull-out. I wish I could swim faster, but I guess I can't expect to be as fast as I was in an instant.

Hopefully this is not a random workout and I can start a new swimming habit again.

And, yes, I can still smell the pool stench on my body and in my hair. Ugh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Swimming is the best exercise!