Friday, May 14, 2010

No more running

I'm to the point in the pregnancy where my body does not want to run. I probably could run if someone made me, but it is beyond the point of comfort. Heck, I get to about 30 minutes of walking and I have to pee so bad it is painful. Beyond the bladder compression issues, the muscles in my lower abdomen start to ache at the end of a walk and I have had two episodes of Braxton Hicks contractions during walks recently. No worries. I don't mind shorter, easier episodes of exercise. I'm thankful that my back does not hurt (knocking on wood) nor do I have any other sciatica or nerve issues in my pelvis or legs (knocking on wood again). Those issues are extremely common during pregnancy.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes while I read my book club book. I tried to then get on a stationary bike (this time a recumbent), but my abdomen really hates the bike and only let me do about 7 minutes on it. I can't do the regular upright bike or the recumbent without significant discomfort. So, I got back on the treadmill and walked another 15 minutes. Not bad.

As much as I love running, I must say that walking at the gym while reading is pretty nice as well. I think getting to use the other side of my brain while exercising is really relaxing. Usually I spend my time running either completely zoning out or using the time to think through and work through any stressors of the day. Reading a book on an air-conditioned treadmill made me actively focus on something else, while at the same time feeling doubly productive - I got my workout in plus 40 pages of my book club book. Awesome!

Oh, and a random detail that I was thinking about just now...when you are pregnant, you need to know if you are Rh+ or Rh-. The + or - at the end of your blood type, right? Well, I'm O+, a pretty common blood type. You know what Chad is? The complete opposite of me, AB-. For some reason I find that fitting. I'm curious to find out what our baby's blood type is.

4 comments:

MW said...

on a run a few months ago I asked the group (8 of us) who knew their blood type. 4 knew it. I was kind of surprised that more people don't know this. especially in a country where people donate blood so often.

I'm O+ too. Universal donor! woohooo!!

Sadie J said...

Well, technically speaking us O+ are not really universal donors, O- is. Since O- folks can't accept O+ blood, really the O- is the universal donor. AB+ folks can accept all blood types.

It is surprising that more people don't know.

MW said...

i was not aware of that. interesting. need to call up my teacher in France and tell her she taught me wrong. ;)

t-bell said...

I'm O-. Used to donate blood every 6 weeks until I started running marathons; then I decided I couldn't spare the red blood cells.