Thursday, March 04, 2010

yup, another Beans update

Beans had his abdominal ultrasound. Part of me did think that maybe he just wanted to experience what 'mom' experienced with the whole ultrasound bit. They didn't find anything, which was honestly a big relief. I had prepared myself to hear that they had found tumors or some other kind of untreatable diagnosis. At least with finding nothing, we can focus solely on his bloodwork without worrying about some other underlying condition.

After receiving the antinausea/appetite stimulant med on Tuesday, he had a very active next 24 hours. He ate very well and had definitely perked up in the personality department. He also started meowing for food and as an 'answer' to many of the things I was asking him. He is pretty cute about talking back and having a conversation, though not as verbal as Chad's cat Felicia. By Wednesday afternoon, however, he was back to being a zombie. He still seemed interested in food, though he could hardly take any food in.

I did some research online (yes, I know, that is not always a good idea), but found some good suggestions for trying to get him interested in eating more. Instead of giving him canned salmon this afternoon, I poured a little bit of the can juice into his dry food. It worked like a charm to get him eating, but he did struggle a bit. He vomited the first part of it back up, but after I cleaned it up, he went to the bowl again and ate some more (probably about a teaspoonful). Some food is better than no food. I plan to have a variety of foods and 'tricks' available over the next few days.

Tomorrow he goes back in to the vet for a blood test and likely another transfusion. We then will talk about the next drug he will start to treat with. I'm a bit scared of the next step because many of the drugs that are left are quite dangerous to him as well as me. I'm not allowed to handle them because they are dangerous to the pregnancy, so Chad will get to learn the fine art of giving pills to Beans. I know he can do it, but I think he is a bit concerned. I'm also concerned because there is at least one drug available for treating him to where I can't even come into contact with Beans's fecal matter or urine (not that I have been doing litter box duty), but I'm also concerned about fecal and urine particles getting into our house and onto his fur. I'm afraid to pet him. I wonder about coming into contact with his saliva. Anyhow, I'm terrified.

I hate this, and am still very sad about the whole situation.

No comments: