Friday, March 05, 2010

Beans on Friday

He got his second blood transfusion today, this time from 18.5 pound kitty donor Jasmine. When I picked him up, his nose was so much pinker than it was this morning, I was startled to realize how pale he actually had been. He has been meowing and eating since he got home (a half can of fancy feast in his belly now), and overall is much happier. This will likely only last a few days, but it sure nice to see him comfortable.

Beans is now on Chlorambucil (Leukeran), which had to be specially compounded for him at the pharmacy today. It came in its own special warning bag stating 'chemotherapy drug' that also contained a latex glove to wear when handling it. I bought extra gloves at the pharmacy for both Chad and I to wear if we need it. The pharmacist assured me that even without all of the extra precautions we are taking, I would be fine coming into contact with the intact pills as long as I thoroughly wash my hands. If a pill breaks open for some reason, we would need to be more careful. Either way, Chad is going to learn how to give Beans the pills and we'll both have on gloves as backup protection.

He also got a new antinausea drug that is supposed to work better than the last one he was on. Woohoo! I told the doctor that if these were the last days for Beans, I definitely wanted him to be able to enjoy his single greatest joy in life - eating food!

Yay for Beans! Now we cross our fingers and wait. While we wait, I'm going to try to smother him with kisses and pets.

1 comment:

The MOB said...

I hope this works better,,,