Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some thoughts about dieting...

I've been watching my nutrition now for a week. I have officially been on Meredith's plan for 7 days as well as I have been running regularly at respectable distances. The nutrition is coming much easier for me this time around. I have Melissa for support throughout the day, and Chad is being great, too.

Since the last time I blogged about my weight, I have lost 4 pounds. Really. I have not been overly hungry, except for a few times where I was forced to go further between meals than I intended.

Here are my post-week 1 thoughts -
  • I had developed too many bad eating habits.
  • When I am focused on my diet, it is really easy to eat well.
  • Healthy food can be hard to find when you are eating out.
  • The general public's view of healthy food is drastically different than mine.
  • 4 pounds of weight loss feels pretty good.
  • Water consumption helps me be less irritable.
  • I am sleeping better now that I am eating better and exercising more.
  • Chai tea (made at home, not the sweetened, pre-prepared stuff) is a comfort food for me.
  • I am a grazer in the kitchen.
  • It is really easy to consume a lot of calories if you do not intentionally count them. I can guarantee that the great majority of people in America have no idea how many calories they consume in a day and that it is not even close to 2000-2500 that is on all of the nutrition labels.
  • Sweet potatoes are good if you are a sugar-holic trying to lose weight.
  • Kashi GoLean Crunchy bars are really tasty---some other nutrition bars are packed with calories from sugars and fats.
  • I like knowing what time I am eating and monitoring the amount of time that passes between meals and snacks. Sometimes it is hard to stop what I am doing to eat, just because it is the right time.
  • Sticking to my time schedule prevents me from getting hungry.

3 comments:

t-bell said...

Will you email me the basics of Meredith's plan? I want to lose like 15 pounds before we get back to Texas. I'm not doing so well at Vegan, but eat vegetarian except on the weekends.

Erin said...

I love Kashi! I could eat it allllll the time. :) It's hard being a vegetarian and eating out healthy - people think it's easy, but often times the veggie dishes are just as bad!

Good job, Sadie. Great progress!

Anonymous said...

You are right about most people not realizing how many calories they eat. When you stop each day and count it up you see how quickly they add up to 2000 or more!