Monday, December 10, 2007

Skinny Bitch

Most people who know me know that I am a vegetarian, and that I have been for a while. Chad and I tried to figure out how long it has been, and I have concluded 8 1/2 years. I began my life of vegetarianism the summer of 1999, weighing 183 pounds and in horrible physical condition. I regularly consumed Totino's party pizzas and Kahlua milkshakes with my college roommates. I was completing a degree in Zoology, studying ecology, animal physiology, and a host of other classes revolving aroung animal biology. It was a really easy decision both physically and ethically to stop eating meat.

At first I was a 'junk food vegetarian'. It took a while for me to adjust from the food choices that I had been making to a more healthy, balanced diet. I ate potatoes in their various forms, cheese, milk, yogurt, and lots of fake meat products to get by. I have always liked various vegetables, but it became fun to experiment trying new veggies like bok choy, kale, and the like. Within a few years, I became much more strict in my diet, almost becoming vegan, and let the vegetarian lifestyle influence my choices in cleaning products, clothing, and cosmetics.

Since I have started running more seriously, I have given in to some of my 'beliefs.' I found myself 'craving' fish a couple of years ago and started using the excuse that it is easier on everyone else in my family if I were to start eating seafood. I also have found that I am back to buying regular cleaning products, more leather shoes and purses, and regular cosmetics. I don't know if I can ever fully give up leather shoes and purses, or that I will always buy natural cosmetics, but I definitely need to do better.

Recently my friend Tara introduced me to a book that she had read called 'Skinny Bitch'. The book is marketed to be a diet book for modern women. After listening to Tara describe the changes that she is making in her diet, I realized that it was a book promoting healthy eating (and as a consequence a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle). I bought the book this weekend to read it for myself.

I highly recommend the book for anyone (man or woman) who wants to learn more about the effects of food on their body. The authors have done their research, and though it is written with a slanted opinion, the facts in the book stand for themselves. The majority of food that we eat in this country is horrible for us. The book helps educate folks who are unaware of the crap that they eat every day and helps the rest of us refocus on the food that is good for us. 'Skinny Bitch' also does an awesome job of bringing to reality the horrors of meat production in America.

I have new life in my vegetarianism. I am so thankful to Tara for introducing the book to me. With all of the bitching that I have been doing about my weight and exercise, it is nice to regain focus on the healthy foods that I should be putting in my mouth. I have already re-stocked my kitchen with the vegan options that I need and am ready to pare down the milk/cheese/fish that is still here.

For those of you reading this who think 'I could never do that' or 'She is such a wanna-be hippy', I suggest you read up on what it means to be vegetarian or vegan, and the effects of eating animal products on your body. I am not trying to sound like a snob or put others down for their own diets, but simply think everyone should be aware of what they are putting into their mouth and how each food item came to be on their fork. I don't think any of us will ever eat a perfect diet. I fully expect that I will have moments where I want some milk products or break down and have a taste of someone's seafood dish. Between those moments, however, I hope to improve my overall health.

Okay...now stepping off of my soapbox. (But really, if you are curious to read the book, it is an entertaining and quick read. I will let you borrow my copy.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous...I wish I had the discipline to be totally vegan. I think we all know it is MUCH healthier. Don't worry about making it easier for those around YOU!

MW said...

but but but... cheese?
i couldn't.
pizza, string cheese, brie, did I mention pizza?!
; )